Vital Records - Birth, Marriage, Death
Public Notice Regarding COVID-19 – Appointments only
Appointments for County Clerk services are available Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Most County Clerk services can be handled online, or via e-mail or US Postal Mail whenever possible.
Appointments may be requested by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or by leaving a voicemail at 517-543-2280.
Your request will be answered as soon as possible during these hours. Thank you.
$15 For just 1 copy, and $8 for each additional copy of the same record ordered at the same time.
Obtaining a Certified Copy
All copies are certified. A certified copy of a record on file is printed on special security paper and contains a raised, embossed seal. To obtain a certified copy of a record of birth or death that occurred in Eaton County or a marriage record that was issued by Eaton County, you may order in one of the following ways:
- Order online through a secured site. Additional fees apply. Next day air shipping option available at an additional cost.
Funeral Homes order here
- Order by mail by writing us a letter or use our mail-in request form (PDF). Payment in the form of a check or money order can be made out to Eaton County Clerk. For mailed requests receiving your record or a response may take several weeks due to mail time.
- It is helpful if you include a phone number or email with your request so that if necessary our office can easily and quickly contact you.
Order in person at our office. Our Charlotte counter hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Or Get information about our special hours at Delta Township. Most in-person requests can be fulfilled that same day, usually within a few minutes for recent records.
If you have further questions call us at 517-543-2426. Please note we are not able to provide any information on specific records over the phone - we require a written request.
Birth records are recorded in the county where the birth took place. Birth records are private records. Only an individual listed on the record can request the record and proof of the requestor's identity is required.
To obtain a record please provide:
- Date of birth
- Full name at birth
- Parents full names, including maiden name of mother
- Photocopy of your driver’s license, state identification, or passport
- Your Signature (authorizing the request, and it must be original i.e. not the signature on the identification)
The majority of Lansing is in Ingham County, therefore a birth that occurred in a Lansing hospital will most likely be filed with the Ingham County Clerk.
Protecting Your Identity
Note: To protect against identity theft, records that are mailed will be sent to the address shown on your picture identification, so if you have a change of address on the back, make a copy of it. Otherwise, for a second piece of evidence of your current address you may provide a copy of a current utility or medical bill addressed to you.
State of Michigan Birth Records
The following must be obtained from the State of Michigan:
- Adoptions before 1979
- Affidavit of parentage
- Application to correct a certificate of birth
- Application to name a father on a certificate of birth
- Those born before 1979 and parents were not married
Death records are recorded in the county where the death took place. Death records are public records.
To obtain a record please provide:
- Date of death (or approximate) and if known location of death
- Full name of deceased
Marriage records are recorded in the county of application (usually county of residence of bride or groom at the time). Marriage licenses are public records.
To obtain a record please provide
- Date of marriage
- Full name of each applicant at the time of application (i.e. maiden name or last name prior to this marriage)