Thornapple River, Eaton County



Treasurer and Clerk Offer Delta Township Office Hours

Eaton County Clerk Diana Bosworth and Eaton County Treasurer Bob Robinson now offer service hours in the Delta Township Administration Building at 7710 W. Saginaw Highway in Lansing.  

Delta Eaton County Flyer Cover2

Delta office Hours - Fridays 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

County Clerk  

First and third Friday of each month

County Treasurer

Second and fourth Friday of each month

(Office located in the lower level of the Delta Township building.)

Link to Information Brochure  


IMG160 Eaton CO 900x350 v1

Now Pay Delinquent Real Property Taxes Online
Eaton County Treasurer, Bob Robinson, announced this month that Eaton County property owners have a new and convenient way to make delinquenttaxpayments.  The treasurer’s office has contracted with Official Payments, a leading provider of electronic payment solutions to offer delinquent tax payment processing over the Internet through credit card and debit card transaction.  Visa, Discover, and MasterCard debit and credit cards will be accepted. This new service offers taxpayers a fast and efficient way to pay online and reduces manual processing time in the treasurer’s office.

“Through a unique partnership with Official Payments and BS&A Software, taxpayers can get online, pay, and process their delinquent tax payments instantly, in real time,” said Robinson.  “This is part of our ongoing work to increase efficiency in the treasurer’s office.  It can also help folks avoid last minute additional fees and interest on their past due real property taxes.”

For more information, go to 


New Legislation Extending Property Tax Exemptions to Qualified Disabled Veterans

Click here for more information.


Choosing the Way to Begin

Informal vs Formal Proceedings

The first decision which needs to be made when one is about to commence probate proceedings is whether to use informal proceedings or formal proceedings. Informal and formal proceedings are different ways of having a will admitted to probate and a personal representative appointed. Once a personal representative is appointed under either method, administration will proceed in an unsupervised manner. Additionally, you may chose to have the estate proceed by supervised administration by requesting supervised administration in a formal proceeding.

Informal proceedings are commenced by filing an Application for Informal Probate and/or Appointment of Personal Representative (Testate/Intestate) (PC 558) with the court. This is a request that the probate register admit the will, if any, to probate and appoint a personal representative. If the application is granted, the register will sign a form called Register's Statement (PC 568) admitting a will and/or appointing a personal representative. Once this is accomplished and the personal representative qualifies by filing an Acceptance of Appointment and any required bond, the register will issue Letters of Authority for Personal Representative (PC 572). The personal representative will proceed with unsupervised administration until the estate is ready to be closed. A will informally admitted to probate may be challenged at any time in a formal testacy proceeding.

Formal proceedings are commenced by filing Petition for Probate and/or Appointiment of Personal Representative (Testate/Intestate)(PC 559) with the court. A hearing date is given and interested persons must be served with notice of hearing. After hearing, the probate judge will enter an order called Order of Formal Proceedings (PC 569). This order will admit any will, determine who the heirs of the deceased may be and appoint a personal representative. Once this is accomplished and the personal representative qualifies by filing an Acceptance of Appointment and any required bond, the personal representative will proceed with unsupervised administration until the estate is ready to be closed.

As part of the formal proceeding, the petitioner may request supervised administration. Supervised administration may be requested at any time during estate administration. Supervised administration should not be granted automatically upon request. In cases of no will or where a will is silent on whether the estate should or should not be supervised, necessity must be shown before supervised administration is granted. Supervised administration is granted as part of the entry of the Order of Formal Proceedings (PC 569). In all requests for supervised administration, the court must decide (1) whether the decedent left a will and its validity, (2) the personal representative's priority and qualifications to serve, and (3) the heirs of the decedent. If supervised administration is granted, the personal representative unless otherwise ordered by the court will proceed with the same powers as a personal representative who is not supervised with the notable exception that a supervised personal representative may not make any distributions without court order. The responsibilities of the personal representative are greater since they are required to file with the court and serve upon interested persons additional documents.

Informal and formal proceedings are two ways to accomplish the same things. By using either, you can have a will admitted to probate and a personal representative appointed. Informal proceedings are less complicated and generally take less time to complete. The results, however, can always be challenged in a formal proceeding. Thus, you do not have the finality gained by a court order obtained through formal proceedings. Formal proceedings require a court hearing. Notice of that hearing must be served upon interested persons. Formal proceedings are more complicated and generally take longer. They do give you a greater degree of finality for matters covered by the order. Supervised administration can be described as a series of formal proceedings from beginning to end.

Generally, if there is no dispute over the admission of the will and appointment of a personal representative I would begin with informal proceedings. If it is likely that the will may be contested at some point or the appointment of the personal representative contested, I would consider using formal proceedings. There would seem to be very little advantage for requesting supervised administration since you can obtain court orders when necessary by using formal proceedings for a particular issue.

An attorney should be consulted and retained to handle the probate proceedings. Estates are almost always complicated enough to justify such professional services. My experience as a judge has been that in most cases in which someone tried to probate an estate without legal assistance, it has been a disaster and the decision was regretted.

County Agency Sponsored Events

211 Service Available

211 services

If you're looking for assistance with a problem and you don't know where to turn, or simply want information on a particular human service issue, 2-1-1 is for you. Currently, 2-1-1 service is available in Clinton, Eaton, Ingham, and Jackson counties through Central Michigan 211. 

 Click here for more information

Go to top