Overall the Eaton County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to 935 calls for service/events. Our more higher call volumes were in the areas of: Alarms (42), Car/Deer Accidents (15), Assist Citizen/Motorist (44), Check Well Beings (22), Domestic Disputes (13), Shoplifting Complaints (20), Larcenies (30), Assault (7), Operating While Impaired (13), Personal Injury Crashes (7), Property Damage Crashes (28), Suspicious Subject/Situation/Vehicle (51), Traffic Hazards (67), Traffic Stops (173), and Traffic Violations (45).
Next week is July 4th. While it’s a day to celebrate our nation’s independence, the holiday brings out many fireworks displays held in communities and possibly our own backyards. If you are planning to have your own celebration, please remember the following fireworks safety tips you should use and teach to your kids:
- Fireworks packaged in brown paper are made for professional displays – avoid buying.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities, especially with sparklers.
- Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire and to douse used fireworks before discarding in trash.
- Never allow young children to play or ignite fireworks.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- Never try to re-light or pickup fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never place a part of your body directly over a firework device when lighting.
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
Yours in Public Safety,
Sheriff Tom Reich