In-Person Application Process
At least one of the applicants must come in person to apply and provide for both applicants proof of age, identity and residence (at least one in Eaton County.)
For any applicant not present a copy of their BIRTH CERTIFICATE and DRIVER’S LICENSE along with their SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER must be provided.
Information required for the application:
- full name, age, date of birth and registered residence of applicants
- the city and state you were born
- applicants’ social security number
- If an applicant does not have a social security number please contact our office for further instructions: 517-543-2478
- the full and correct spelling of your parents’ names, mothers’ maiden name the State your parents were born
- If outside of the US, provide City, State (or equivalent) and Country
The application form can be obtained in the Clerk’s Office or click here to download
- Submit application in-person at the Clerk’s Office- 1st Floor, 1045 Independence Blvd, Charlotte MI
- Application office hours: M-F 8 AM to 4:30 PM
- Please allow for up to 30 minutes spent in our office during the application process
- Identity is verified and information is entered into system (by Clerk)
- For any applicant not present a copy of their BIRTH CERTIFICATE and DRIVER’S LICENSE along with their SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER must be provided
We go by the address shown on your picture I.D., so if you have a change of address on the back be sure show us or copy both front and back. If your address on your ID is not up-to-date please bring a current bill addressed to you at your current address.
- Affidavit is printed and proofed by applicant(s) for errors
- Applicant(s) signs affirming they are complying with Michigan marriage laws and application is true and correct
- $20 fee is due
- We accept cash, check, money order, debit or credit (there is an additional fee when using a card)
- After the 3 calendar day waiting period license is available to be picked up
- Pick-up available only during normal office hours; M-F 8 AM to 5 PM
NOTE: While there is no blood test or HIV/AIDS classes required when applying for marriage licenses, we are required by State law to provide an educational pamphlet when you apply.
- It is important your personal information (spelling, dates of birth, parents information, etc.) on the marriage license is correct. Please thoroughly proof your license before you leave our office.
- If you find an error after you are married and the license has been filed with the State of Michigan Vital Stats office it will require a court order by the Circuit Court to correct; that fee is $150.00.
- The license is valid to be used for 33 days (starting on date of the application)
- There is a 3 day waiting period before the license can be picked up
- This waiting period can be waived with valid reason and for a fee of $15
- A valid reason such as the set wedding date does not allow enough time for the waiting period, and proof of this would need to be provided, such as a wedding venue rental agreement.
- The license may be picked up at the County Clerk’s office by either applicant or a third party if applied for in-person.
- The license is valid statewide, you can be married anywhere in Michigan once the affidavit has been completed and the waiting period has been fulfilled or waived.
ÅBack to Marriage Main