Getting documents notarized
If you need a document notarized we offer Notary services at no charge.
It is the responsibility of a Notary Public to certify the person or persons signing a document to make sure they are the person stated on the document. Notarization on a document certifies that the person whose signature is entered on the document personally appeared before the notary, established his or her identity, and personally signed the document in the presence of the notary.
Becoming a Notary
· You must be at least 18 years of age
· A resident of the county in which you request appointment
o An out-of-state resident must apply in the county in which his/her principal place of business is located.
To apply to become a notary, or renew you must bring to the Clerk’s office the following things:
1. Your Notary Application,
2. A Notary bond
3. Your driver’s license or State ID
· Obtain a $10,000.00 notary bond from a bonding company or insurance agency with your name exactly as you wish to be commissioned.
o Licensed attorneys in Michigan are not required to file a surety bond, but must still bring in the application to the County Clerk’s office
· Complete the application for Michigan Notary Public Appointment
o At the bottom of the application in the designated spot print or type your name exactly the way you wish to be commissioned.
o Sign the application (matching the way you wish to be appointed.) An original signature is required.
· File the application and bond in person at the County Clerk’s Office and pay the filing fee of $10, checks made payable to: Eaton County Clerk
· Submit the sealed application and payment (application fee, see below) to:
Application fee of $10 paid as check or money order payable to: State of Michigan
· Notification of Appointment
Every citizen appointed as a notary has a duty to learn the notarial laws on their own initiative.
If you have further questions you can call our office at 517-543-2426.
Notary Public Information