If you need a document notarized we offer Notary services at no charge.
Please bring a government issued photo ID.
To become a notary you must bring to the County Clerk’s office the following things:
1. Your Notary Application,
2. Notary bond and
3. Your driver’s license.
4. Payment, we accept cash or a check for payment.
RESPONSIBLITY OF A NOTARY
It is the responsibility of a Notary Public to certify the person or person(s) signing a document having produced proper legal identification, to make sure they are the person stated on the document. Notary Public is a witness to a signature only, no legal advice is allowed by a notary. A Notary Public, by new legislation , is strictly prohibited to notarize for a family member.
• You must be at least 18 years of age
• A resident of the county in which you request appointment
• An out-of-state resident must apply in the county in which his/her principal place of business is located.
• Obtain a $10,000.00 notary bond from a bonding company or insurance agency with your name exactly as you wish to be commissioned.
(Licensed attorneys in Michigan are not required to file a surety bond, but must bring in the application to the County Clerk’s office)
• File the bond in person at the County Clerk’s Office along with the filing fee of $10.00. Checks made payable to: Eaton County Clerk.
• Complete the application for Michigan Notary Public Appointment (available at our office) and present it along with the bond. Print or type your name on the application exactly the way you wish to be commissioned. (It must match your notary bond.)
• Sign the application the way you wish to be appointed. An original signature is required. Application fee is separate from the bond and a check or money order fee os $10.00 is made to the "State of Michigan."
Notification of Appointment
• After a commission is issued, the State will send you a wallet-size certificate. At that time your commission will be valid and you can start notarizing. This takes approximately 4-6 weeks.
Changes to name or address to different county during your commission requires a change form, available from the Michigan Secretary of State website.
Important – You may not act as a notary public until you receive your certificate in the mail. If you have further questions you can call our office at 517-543-2426.
More information for Notary Public procedures link onto the Michigan Secretary of State website.