We offer Notary services at no charge.
To become a notary you must bring to the County Clerk’s office three things. 1. Your Notary Application, 2. Notary bond and 3. Your driver’s license. We accept cash or a check for payment.
RESPONSIBLITY OF A NOTARY
It is the responsibility of a Notary Public to certify the person or person(s) signing a document having produced proper legal identification, to make sure they are the person stated on the document. Notary Public is a witness to a signature only, no legal advice is allowed by a notary. A Notary Public, by new legislation , is strictly prohibited to notarize for a family member.
• You must be at least 18 years of age
• A resident of the county in which you request appointment
• An out-of-state resident must apply in the county in which his/her principal place of business is located.
• Obtain a $10,000.00 notary bond from a bonding company or insurance agency with your name exactly as you wish to be commissioned. (Licensed attorneys in Michigan are not required to file a surety bond, but must bring in the application to the County Clerk’s office)
• File the bond in person at the County Clerk’s Office along with the filing fee of $10.00. Checks made payable to: Eaton County Clerk.
• Complete the application for Michigan Notary Public Appointment (available at our office) and present it along with the bond. • Print or type your name on the application exactly the way you wish to be commissioned. (It must match your notary bond).
• Sign the application the way you wish to be appointed. An original signature is required. Application fee is separate from the bond and a check or money order fee os $10.00 is made to the "State of Michigan."
Notification of Appointment
• After a commission is issued, the State will send you a wallet-size certificate. At that time your commission will be valid and you can start notarizing. This takes approximately 4-6 weeks.
Changes to name or address to different county during your commission requires a change form, available from the MI Secretary of State website.
Important – You may not act as a notary public until you receive your certificate in the mail. If you have further questions you can call our office at 517-543-2426.
More information for Notary Public procedures link onto the Michigan Secretary of State website.