ECU: Unreturned Rental Property Diversion

UPDATED: February 22, 2015



images tips badcheck


barcode news filecabinet
ECU home Merchant
Bad Check Diversion Unreturned Rental Property Diversion Retail Fraud Diversion News &
Stats &



Unreturned Rental Property
Diversion Program


The ECU now offers an Unreturned Rental Property diversion program. This diversion option was created to help businesses that rent items (e.g., cars, DVDs, etc.) to improve their bottom lines. The diversion program is free to businesses, and is designed to help with the recovery of past due rental property.

Michigan Compiled Laws 750.362a states that it is a crime for a renter to willfully fail to return rental property upon notification by the business. Based on the value of the rented item, punishment may range from a 93-day misdemeanor to a 10-year felony.

What does the Unreturned Rental Property Diversion program cover?

  • equipment rentals
  • movie rentals (DVDs, etc.)


The ECU's Rental Property Diversion program does NOT cover landlord-tenant cases (apartment rentals/leases).

How does the Rental Property Diversion Program work?

The Rental Property Diversion program will be similar to our Bad Check Diversion program. Businesses have the opportunity to file a complaint with the ECU if a renter does not return rental property on the due date. In order to use the program businesses must follow certain procedures.

Steps Necessary by the Merchant to Open a Case in the Unreturned Rental Property Diversion Program

  1. There must be a written rental agreement in place. The agreement must state:
    • A description of the rented property;
    • The date the item was rented and the date due for return; and
    • Location to which the rented property should be returned (address, city, state, zip code and county).
  2. A past due rental property notification letter must be sent to the renter/customer.
    • The notification must list the last known address of the renter.
    • The notification must be sent by certified or registered mail.
    • Allow the renter 10 days from the date of the notice to respond.
  3. If there is no response to the notice letter, submit the rental property complaint sheet by mail or fax to the ECU.
    • Attach a copy of rental agreement and notice letter with the complaint.

Businesses can recover the value or cost of the unreturned property, reasonable late fees and the certified or registered letter charge. Once a business files a complaint, the late fees are limited to those listed on the complaint. Late fees will not be calculated after a complaint is submitted.

What Happens After a Complaint is Filed?

  1. The ECU sends out a payment demand letter to the customer.
  2. If the suspect comes in and pays, prosecution will be declined.
  3. If the suspect does not respond or disagrees with the merchant's facts, we will consider prosecuting the case with formal charges.



Forms & Documents

Rental Property Diversion Program
Rental Property Diversion - Introduction Letter to Area Merchants (151 kb)
Rental Property Diversion - Merchant Notice Letter (send to Customer) (15 kb)
Rental Property Diversion - Merchant's Complaint Form (send to ECU) (26 kb)


| Eaton County Home | Prosecuting Attorney Home | Office Info | Paperless Files | Press Releases | Site Map |
| Victims | Domestic Violence | PPOs | Witnesses | Appeals | Economic Crimes | Family Support |
| Criminal Case Process | Downloads | FAQs | Legal Glossary | Gov't & Search Links | Prosecutor Web Site Index |

© 1997-2013 Office of the Eaton County Prosecuting Attorney | Disclaimers | Thanks
© 1997-2013 Eaton County Information Systems
Site developed and maintained by Neil F. O'Brien
Go to top