Marriage Licenses

Marriage Licenses

Get driving directions to the County Clerk's office
Eaton County Buildings Map

In-person applications are accepted 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday
Online applications can be submitted at any time
Please be aware our office is closed certain holidays, dates listed on the Clerk's Mainpage

You are eligible to apply for a marriage license in order to be married if:

    • You are not currently married (including marriages occurring in other countries)
    • You or your fiancé is an Eaton County resident - Michigan residents must apply in the county of their current address
    • You are 18 years of age or older 
    • AND you going to be married within 33 days of submitting your application

Exceptional circumstances:

    • If you both are out-of-state residents:
      • You would need to apply in Eaton County if your ceremony is to be performed in Eaton County
    • An applicant is 16 or 17 years of age
      • A parent or guardian must be present with a valid government identification and proof of guardianship documents to sign a consent form.


One applicant must come in-person to the Clerk's office at least once regardless of whether you apply online or in-person.

Choose an option:


Marriage licenses are public records. We post online marriages filed within the month of your marriage ceremony.   Current Eaton County Marriage Filings

If you want to get married at the Courthouse by an Eaton County Judge or Magistrate you must set-up an appointment with District Court.  Call 517-543-4097 and leave a message.
(You will still need to go through the process with the Clerk's office to apply for and get a marriage license before you can get married.)


Michigan Marriage Law

Regarding Officiants

Please be advised that the Eaton County Clerk's office is governed by the State of Michigan laws on the issuance of marriage licenses.  It is the responsibility of the couple being married to determine the legality of the officiant performing the ceremony. To ensure full compliance with the law, you may want to seek the guidance of an attorney in interpreting the law regarding "Persons authorized to solemnize marriages."

Eaton County does not require Officiants to be on file with our office. It is the responsibility of the Officiant to understand the laws and duties regarding officiating a marriage.

In the appropriate spots on the Marriage License, the information must be entered legibly and we must have the officiant's printed name with their title, signature, and mailing address.
MCL 551.104 It shall be the duty of the clergyman or magistrate, officiating at a marriage, to fill in the spaces of the certificate left blank for the entry of the time and place of the marriage, the names and residences of 2 witnesses, and his own signature in certification that the marriage has been performed by him and any and all information required to be filled in in the spaces left blank in the certificate shall be typewritten or legibly printed. He shall separate the duplicate license and certificate, and deliver the half part designated duplicate to 1 of the parties, so joined in marriage, and within 10 days return the original to the county clerk issuing the same. It shall be the duty of such clergyman or magistrate to keep an accurate record of all marriages solemnized in a book used expressly for that purpose.  

Michigan Law excerpts regarding Officiants 

Michigan Marriage Law


Certified Copies

A certified copy of a record on file is printed on special security paper and contains a raised, embossed seal. An old-style license, on only white paper issued for the ceremony, with a gold and/or raised seal is not considered certified.

For information about how to purchase certified copies of a marriage license on file with Eaton County (for which the ceremony has already been performed) click here.

Additional Resources

One of the issued marriage ceremony licenses gets mailed/returned to:
Eaton County Clerk
1045 Independence Blvd
Charlotte, MI 48813

AG Opinion: Requirements for changing a name on a driver license
Update ID with Michigan Secretary of State
Update Name with Social Security 
Update Name on US Passport
Who to notify after your name change
Naturalization for Spouses of US Citizens 
Regarding Marriages Abroad
Regarding Statement of No Marriage
Regarding Marriages while incarcerated

ÅBack to Clerk's Office Mainpage

Go to top