Eaton County Clerk
Applying for a Marriage License
Public Notice Regarding COVID-19
For your and our staff’s safety a mask or facial covering must be worn while in the enclosed public areas and social-distancing practiced.
Thank you for your understanding,
Only one applicant is needed to sign when picking up a license. To reduce contact and time required in office please apply online and you can send your application documents ahead of time to email@example.com
One applicant must come in-person to the Clerk’s office at least once regardless of whether you apply online or in-person.
The license is valid to be used for 33 days, beginning on and including the application date, so be sure your marriage date will fall within that timeframe otherwise you will have to re-apply.
Michigan residents MUST apply in the County in which they reside.
Application hours at Charlotte: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Special hours and dates at the
Delta Twp Satellite office
Information required for the application:
- Full name, age, date of birth and registered residence of applicants
- Proof of identity (bring with you for both applicants, in the form of a birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID)
- Proof of age (bring with you for both applicants, in the form of a birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID)
- Proof of residence (in the form of driver’s license, or current bill addressed to the applicant)
- The city and state you were born
- If born outside of the United States, provide at least City and Country of birth
- Applicants’ social security number
- The full and correct spelling of your parents’ names, as well as the maiden name(s)
- Parent’s information is required on all applications (regardless of applicants’ age) and must be your legal parent as this is a genealogy/identity type legal document
- Parents’ information is usually on your birth certificate therefore it is very helpful to bring it for both applicants when you come to the Clerk’s office
- The U.S. State where applicants’ parents were born
- If parent was born outside of the United States, provide just City and Country of birth
How to Obtain an Application
- Complete the online marriage application
- Download the In-Person application (PDF)
Obtain one at the Clerk’s Office
After applying wait at least three days and then come pickup the marriage license.
Online applicants should get an on-screen confirmation that their application was submitted, but you can call to confirm if there is any question 517-543-2478.
Please note our office is closed on certain holidays.
Marriage at the Courthouse
Currently they are not taking appointments for marriages at the Courthouse.
If you want to get married at the Courthouse by an Eaton County Judge or Magistrate you must set-up an appointment with District Court. Call 517-543-4097 and leave a message. You will still need to go through the process with the Clerk’s office to apply for and get a marriage license before you can get married.