Applying for a Marriage License
One or both of the applicants must come in-person to the Clerk’s office at least once regardless of whether you apply online or in-person. Proof of identity for both applicants must be provided.
The license is valid to be used for 33 days, beginning on and including the application date, so be sure your marriage date will fall within that timeframe otherwise you will have to re-apply.
Michigan residents MUST apply in the County in which they reside.
Application hours at Charlotte: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Information required for the application:
- Full name, age, date of birth and registered residence of applicants
- Proof of identity (bring with you for both applicants, in the form of driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID, or birth certificate if none of the above are available)
- Proof of age (bring with you for both applicants, in the form of a birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID)
- Proof of residence (in the form of driver’s license's address, lease/rental agreement, or current bill addressed to the applicant)
- The city and state you were born
- If born outside of the United States, provide at least City and Country of birth
- Applicants’ social security number
- The full and correct spelling of your parents’ names, as well as the maiden name(s)
- Parent’s information is required on all applications (regardless of applicants’ age) and must be your legal parent as this is a genealogy/identity type legal document
- Parents’ information is usually on your birth certificate therefore it is very helpful to bring birth records for both applicants for verification when you come to the Clerk’s office
- The U.S. State where applicants’ parents were born
- If parent was born outside of the United States, provide just City and Country of birth
How to Obtain an Application
After applying wait at least three days and then come pickup the marriage license.
Online applicants should get an on-screen confirmation that their application was submitted, but you can call to confirm if there is any question 517-543-2478.
Please note our office is closed on certain holidays.
- $20 (or $30 non-resident) fee is due in-person upon picking up the marriage license.
- We accept cash, check, money order, debit or credit (there is an additional fee when using a card)
Marriage at the Courthouse
If you want to get married at the Courthouse by an Eaton County Judge or Magistrate you must set-up an appointment with District Court. Call 517-543-4097 and leave a message. You will still need to go through the process with the Clerk’s office to apply for and get a marriage license before you can get married.
Changing a Last Name as a Result of Marriage
The directions below are offered to be of assistance to those individuals who wish to change their last name to the last name of their spouse or to hyphenate both last names. An attorney should be consulted for other name change arrangements.
The first step in the name change process is to visit the Social Security Administration.
Once the ceremony has occurred, individuals may take the certified copy of the marriage license to the Social Security Administration to change their name with Social Security.
- An individual will also need a valid state-issued ID or Driver's License, current social security card/number, and birth certificate. Other documents accepted in place of those listed above can be found here.