Eaton County Clerk
Marriage License Process
Effective Friday, August 13, 2021, the public is encouraged to wear masks when entering any court building and required to wear masks, regardless of vaccination status, when in any court proceeding, in-person meeting, and jury assembly rooms.
Thank you for your understanding,
Only one applicant is needed to sign when picking up a license, but proof of identity must be provided for both applicants.
Information required for the application:
- Full name, age, date of birth and registered residence of applicants
- Proof of identity (bring with you for both applicants, in the form of driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID, or birth certificate if none of the above are available)
- Proof of age (bring with you for both applicants, in the form of a birth certificate, driver’s license, passport, military ID or state ID)
- Proof of residence (in the form of driver’s license's address, lease/rental agreement, or current bill addressed to the applicant)
- The city and state you were born
- If born outside of the United States, provide at least City and Country of birth
- Applicants’ social security number
- The full (first, middle, last) and correct spelling of your parents’ names, as well as the maiden name(s)
- Parent’s information is required on all applications (regardless of applicants’ age) and must be your legal parent as this is a genealogy/identity type legal document
- Parents’ information is usually on your birth certificate therefore it is very helpful to bring birth records for both applicants for verification when you come to the Clerk’s office
- The U.S. State where applicants’ parents were born
- If parent was born outside of the United States, provide just City and Country of birth
You are eligible to apply for a marriage license in order to be married if:
- You are not currently married (including marriages occurring in other countries)
- You or your fiancé is an Eaton County resident - Michigan residents must apply in the county of their current address
- You are 18 years of age or older
- And you going to be married within 33 days of submitting your application
- If you both are out-of-state residents:
- You would need to apply in Eaton County if your ceremony is to be performed in Eaton County
- If you are unsure please contact us with your venue’s address and we can verify if it is Eaton County, because it may invalidate the license if it is performed in the wrong county
- An applicant is 16 or 17 years of age
- A parent or guardian must be present with a valid government identification and proof of guardianship documents to sign a consent form
- Submit application
Michigan residents must apply in the County in which they reside.
- The license is valid to be used for 33 days, beginning on and including the application date.
- Application hours at Charlotte: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- The day you apply online is the date used for starting the 3-day waiting period and 33-days validity
- You do not have to pick it up exactly when the third day is up, that is just the minimum, but you must give the license to the wedding officiant prior to your ceremony. Without the license a ceremony is not legally valid.
- Provide proof of identity and residence and social security number for both applicants
- $20 (or $30 non-resident) fee is due
- Online payment option, additional fees apply
- Or pay in-person
- We accept cash, check, money order, debit or credit (there is an additional fee when using a card)
A certified copy of a record on file is printed on special security paper and contains a raised, embossed seal. An old-style license, on only white paper issued for the ceremony, with a gold and/or raised seal is not considered certified.
For information about how to purchase certified copies of a marriage license on file with Eaton County (for which the ceremony has already been performed) visit Vital Records-Birth, Marriage, Death.
One of the issued marriage ceremony licenses gets mailed/returned to:
Eaton County Clerk
1045 Independence Boulevard
Charlotte, MI 48813