- Administration, Accounting & Services
- Register of Deeds
- Passport Information
Routine passport processing times have updated - effective February 6, 2023. Currently, routine service is 8-11 weeks and expedited service is 5-7 weeks (for an additional $60). For more information visit travel.state.gov .
*At this time we are not offering passport photo services.*
Passports are for travel anywhere in the world. Passport processing is 8 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. daily at the Register of Deeds office. Please bring
- Application for New Applications DS-11
- Certified Birth Certificate (with a Raised Seal)
- Valid and Current Identification
- Passport Photos (2 by 2 Inches)
Applicants age 16 and over must pay $130 with a check or money order only to the "U.S. Department of State" and $35 (check, money order, cash or card) to "Eaton County Register of Deeds". We are not a federal agency so separate checks are required. The passport is valid for 10 years.
Minors (16 and 17-year-olds) can obtain their own passports if they have their own driver’s license or state identification the check is issued from a parent.
Applicants age 15 and under must pay $100 (check or money order) to the "U.S. Department of State" and $35 (check, money order, cash or card) to Eaton County Register of Deeds. Separate checks are required. The passport is valid for 5 years.
Passcards are also available for travel by land to Canada, Mexico and by sea. Applicants 16 years of age or older must pay $30 (check or money order) to the "U.S. Department of State" and a $35 fee to the "Eaton County Register of Deed". This passcard is valid for 10 years.
Minors (16 and 17-year-olds) can obtain their own passcards if they have their own driver’s license or state identification and the check is issued from a parent.
Passcards for ages 15 and under must pay $15 (check or money order) to the "U.S. Department of State" and a $35 (check, cash, money order or card) to the "Eaton County Register of Deeds". The passcard is valid for 5 years.
Completed Applications (DS-11)
You can obtain the Form DS-11 from your passport acceptance facility in Eaton County or online. Type or print in black ink only. Do not sign the application until given the oath by the clerk.
Evidence of Citizenship
One or more of the following may be required:
- Certified copy of birth record from the State Vitals Office or from the County where you were born, this will prove your U.S. Citizenship (Additional documentation may be necessary for persons who have been adopted or have had a legal name change or have a delayed birth record)
- Previously issued U.S. Passport
- Original Naturalization Certificate
Persons ages 16 and older can apply without a parent but must present a valid Driver’s License or State-issued Identification Card at time of application and use a parent as an emergency contact.
Persons ages 15 and under must be accompanied by two parents listed on child’s birth certificate. Parent must present a valid Driver’s License or State-issued Identification Card at the time of application.
One Passport Photograph
Can be taken in the office for $10. Or please submit a 2 by 2-inch photograph must meet Passport Services requirements and be taken within 6 months of application.
An expedited service is available for an additional $60. This fee is paid when you apply for your passport. Approximate processing time is 12 weeks. Your travel agent or airline can also provide you with information.
If you are traveling in less than 2 weeks of application, it is recommended that you go to the nearest passport agency to apply which for Michigan is:
The Detroit Passport Office
211 W Fort Street
Detroit, MI 48226
The agency is open Monday through Friday, excluding holidays and will only offer service by appointment. Customers may schedule an appointment 24 hours a day, seven days a week by calling 877-487-2778. You will need to present proof of immediate travel:
- Airline ticket
- Confirmed airline-generated itinerary or a letter from an employer for business travel along with a completed application
- One recent photograph (2 by 2 inches)
- Evidence of U.S. citizenship
- Appropriate fees
Our office may be able to help you with your renewal passport, but in most cases, you will have to submit the renewal by mail (Form DS-82). The renewal fee is $130.
- Your previous passport must have been issued on or after your 16th birthday.
- Your passport must have been issued within the last 15 years.
- If your name has changed due to marriage or by court order, you must submit proof of the name change.
- If a passport was issued as a child, that passport cannot be used to renew for an adult passport.
- Must submit one recent photograph (2 by 2 inches)