Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC)
Under the Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA), Local Emergency Planning Committees (LEPCs) must develop an emergency response plan, review the plan at least annually, and provide information about chemicals in the community to citizens. Plans are developed by LEPCs with stakeholder participation. The Eaton County LEPC membership includes:
- Police, fire, and public health professionals
- Environment, transportation, and hospital officials
- School representatives
- Private sector facility representatives
- Community group representatives
2020 LEPC Meetings will be held on the following dates at 911 Courthouse Dr., Charlotte Michigan at 10:00 am:
Wednesday, February 16, 2020 (Virtual)
Wednesday, May 27, 2020 (Virtual)
Wednesday, August 26, 2020
Wednesday, December 2, 2020
What are the required elements of an emergency response plan?
- Identification of facilities and transportation routes of extremely hazardous substances
- Description of emergency response procedures, on and off site
- Designation of a community coordinator and facility emergency coordinator(s) to implement the plan
- Outline of emergency notification procedures
- Description of how to determine the probable affected area and population by releases
- Description of local emergency equipment and facilities and the persons responsible for them
- Outline of evacuation plans
- A training program for emergency responders (including schedules)
- Methods and schedules for exercising emergency response plan
Where can I get more information?
- Risks Response Awareness Training: Local Emergency Planning Committee/Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (2018)
- For more information on local emergency planning, see EPCRA sections 301-303 (42 USC 11001, 11002(2 pp, 124 K, About PDF), 11003(2 pp, 124 K, About PDF)) or 40 CFR part 355 (20 pp, 306 K, About PDF).
- For more information on state and local EPCRA implementation, visit the National Association of SARA Title III Program Officials (NASTTPO).