Running for Office
Running for Office in Eaton County
All candidates must be registered and qualified electors of the districts in which they are seeking office.
Step 1: What office are you running for?
To find the complete list of available offices for 2022, please see our candidate listing, here.
If you are unsure of which precinct you live in, visit the Michigan Voter Information Center. This website allows you to view your voter registration status, sample ballot, polling location, and voting precinct.
Step 2: Where do I file for office?
Most federal, statewide, and judicial candidates file for office with the Michigan Department of State’s Bureau of Elections. The Bureau of Elections can be contacted by phone at (800) 292-5973, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates running for the following offices in 2022 must file with the Eaton County Clerk, by 4:00p.m. on the deadline:
- 76th State Representative - Filing deadline - April 19, 2022
- County Commissioner - Filing deadline - April 19, 2022
- Local School Board Member - Filing deadline - July 26, 2022
- District Library (that do NOT include a school district) -Filing deadline - July 21, 2022
- District Library (that includes a school district) - Filing deadline - August 16, 2022
- Precinct Delegate - Filing deadline - May 3, 2022
Candidates running for the following offices in 2022 must file with their Local City or Township Clerk:
- Mayor and City Council Members -
- Village Officers - Filing deadline - July 26, 2022
- Township Officers - Filing deadline - April 19, 2022
- Township Library - Filing deadline - April 19, 2022
Candidates for city, township, or village offices file with their local city or township clerk. To find contact information for your local clerk in Eaton County, click here.
Step 3: I’m running for office and I file with a filing official in Eaton County. What forms and information do I need?