Overall the Eaton County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to 886 calls for service/events. Our higher call volumes occurred in the following areas: Traffic Stops-224, Suspicious Subject/Situation/Vehicle-59, Assist Citizen/Motorist Assists-46, Traffic Violations-45, Check Well Beings-24, Property Damage Crashes-23 Alarms-21, Shoplifting Complaints-21, Personal Injury Crashes-18, Domestic Disputes-17, Civil Complaints-15, Traffic Hazards-14, Larcenies-12, Suicidal Threat or Attempt-12, Mental Subject-10, and MDOP-10.
Myself and the staff of the Eaton County Sheriff’s Office believe the training and professional development of our Deputies and Command Officers is critically important to fulfill our mission of constantly striving to provide the very best law enforcement and public safety services in our county.
Our command officers attend nationally recognized training through Michigan State University and regularly conduct shift level trainings with staff members. We have also held in-depth active shooter/violence scenario trainings in coordination with businesses such as GM, Auto-Owners Insurance, the Lansing Mall, and LAFCU. This scenario training has also been conducted with Eaton Rapids, Olivet, and Charlotte High Schools, as well as Olivet College.
Below is an overview of the recent training topics and programs our employees have participated in and receive continuing education on. (This is not an all-encompassing list.)
- Communication Skills and Surviving Verbal Conflict for Law Enforcement
- Arresting Communication
- Cultural Awareness for Officer Safety
- Various Narcotics Trainings
- Cultural Diversity, Fair and Impartial Policing, Implicit Bias, and Anti-Bias
- Multiple Interactive Learning/Training Objectives Scenario Training
- Verbal Defense and Influence (De-escalation & Non-escalation)
- Instructor Certification in Verbal Defense and Influence Training
- Force Science – Realistic De-escalation
- Decision Making, Use of Force and Implicit Bias
- “Deadly force, but was it avoidable”
- Crisis Intervention Training, including instructor certification
- Dynamics of Officer/Citizen Encounters
- Anti-Bias for Law Enforcement
- First Aid, AED, Tourniquet, and Narcan deployment
- Autism Awareness
- Various Firearms Trainings
- (*12 hours of mandatory yearly training on subjects including but not limited to: VDI, Crisis Intervention, Implicit Bias, Diversity/Awareness, Legal Update/Review, First Aid, Taser, Policies and Procedures, and Use of Force.)
Me and my staff of the Eaton County Sheriff’s Office have, and will continue to be, a leader in our region on professional standards, development, equality, and integrity, as we carry out our sworn duties related to public safety.
Yours in Public Safety,
Sheriff Tom Reich