Overall the Eaton County Sheriff’s Deputies responded to 844 calls for service/events. Our higher call volumes occurred in the following areas: Traffic Stops-182, Suspicious Situations/Subject/Vehicle-50, Traffic Violations-46, Check Well Beings-34, Assist Citizen/Motorist Assist-27, Alarms-22, Larcenies-17, Shoplifting Complaints-16, Personal Injury Crashes-16, Property Damage Crashes-15, Domestic Disputes-15, Traffic Hazards-15, Unwanted Subject-14, Civil Complaint-13, Property Damage Hit and Run-10, and Abandoned Vehicles-10.
School buses are on the roadways –
With the start of school, now is the perfect time to remind ourselves to be vigilant while sharing the roads with school buses.
School bus safety tips for drivers:
- Prepare to stop when a slowing bus has its overhead yellow lights flashing.
- Stop at least 20 feet away from buses when red lights are flashing, unless driving in the opposite direction on a divided highway.
- Slow down in or near school and residential areas.
- Look for clues-such as safety patrols, crossing guards, bicycles, and playgrounds-that indicate children might be in the area.
- Watch for children between parked cars and other objects.
School buses are like traffic signals:
- When overhead lights are flashing yellow: Prepare to stop.
- When overhead lights are flashing red: Stop.
- When hazard warning lights are flashing: Proceed with caution.
Yours in Public Safety,
Sheriff Tom Reich