I am being denied visitation. What can be done?

First, contact your attorney (if you hired one to assist you getting the custody order). Otherwise, file a written complaint with your county's Friend of the Court (FOC), requesting that the FOC take action to enforce the order. Include specific facts, dates, times, etc, and the reasons given for the alleged denial of visitation. If the Friend of the Court has reason to believe that the Parenting Time order has been violated, the office may:

  • Meet with the parties to try to resolve the disagreements
  • Refer the dispute to a mediator
  • Apply the office's local make-up visitation policy
  • Begin a civil contempt proceeding with the Court by filing a petition for a show cause order
  • Petition the Court to change the existing Parenting Time order

Show All Answers

1. Are there different kinds of custody?
2. What is the Prosecutor's role in issues of custody and parenting time ("visitation")?
3. How do I get an order for custody?
4. How do I change an existing custody order?
5. We can't agree on custody issues. Can the Court help us reach an agreement?
6. Do I need an attorney to get a custody order?
7. How do I get an order for parenting time ("visitation")?
8. I am being denied visitation. What can be done?
9. Does the Prosecuting Attorney or the Friend of the Court have a responsibility to investigate alleged abuse and/or neglect of a child?
10. Are there other websites with parenting time information?