How do I serve the papers?

Anyone who is over the age of 18, other than you, can serve the respondent. There are 3 ways service of process can be completed:

  • By Process Server: Hire a process server. Find them in the Yellow Pages or view a list of Eaton County Circuit Court Process Servers.
  • By Personal Service: Have a friend or relative over the age of 18, who has no involvement in the personal protection order (PPO) request, personally hand the PPO paperwork to the person being restrained.
  • By Mail: Serve the person being restrained by registered mail (return receipt requested) with delivery restricted to him/her. The registered mail package should include a copy of the notice of hearing (if it is for a Hearing Motion), a copy of the entire packet you filled out and filed with the clerk as the PPO, and a copy of the order.

Show All Answers

1. How do I serve the papers?
2. Can the Respondent be given oral notice of the PPO?
3. What happens after the person being restrained is served with the PPO?
4. When does the PPO go into effect?
5. How does the PPO get entered into LEIN?