Can I get something removed from my criminal record?

State law has specific requirements as to how and when anything can be removed from a criminal record. You may only have one prior conviction (misdemeanor or felony), though certain types of crimes are prohibited such as:

  • Traffic offenses
  • Criminal Sexual Conduct
  • Felony offenses where life imprisonment is the possible penalty

It must be at least 5 years since the date of your conviction/sentencing. The process takes approximately 3 to 4 months from the application date to the hearing before the Judge. You may hire an attorney or handle the application yourself. 

More Information

Please refer to the Michigan State Police for further information on the application to Set Aside or Expungement of criminal history records.

Show All Answers

1. Where is District Court Traffic located?
2. How much is my traffic ticket?
3. How can I pay my traffic ticket?
4. How can I make payments on my traffic violation fine?
5. When does the court close for payments?
6. Can I write a check for my traffic violation?
7. What is the mailing address for District Court Traffic?
8. Can I pay the court online?
9. Can I pay the court by phone?
10. Can I make partial payments to the court?
11. How many points are on this violation?
12. How many days do I have to contact the court about my ticket?
13. The court tells me they don't have the ticket yet. What do I do?
14. When can I see the Judge or Magistrate?
15. What time are walk-in arraignments?
16. How do I get a court-appointed attorney?
17. Why do I have a warrant, and how do I take care of the warrant?
18. Why did the officer tell me the ticket was waivable?
19. I got a default notice from the court. What does that mean?
20. I got a show cause notice from the court. What do I do?
21. Why do I need to appear at the court?
22. When are jail arraignments?
23. How long does it take for a credit card transaction to post?
24. How much do I owe for a balance on my account?
25. When is my next court date?
26. Can I get something removed from my criminal record?