How do I change an existing custody order?

A custody order can be changed by filing a petition with the Circuit Court to modify the custody order - or the parents can sign a written agreement, which the Judge can approve and enter. This process takes place at the Friend of the Court's office, not with the Prosecuting Attorney's office. Usually, an existing custody order will not be changed unless there is a "material change in circumstances" since the custody order was entered.

Show All Answers

1. Are there different kinds of custody?
2. What is the Prosecutor's role in issues of custody and parenting time ("visitation")?
3. How do I get an order for custody?
4. How do I change an existing custody order?
5. We can't agree on custody issues. Can the Court help us reach an agreement?
6. Do I need an attorney to get a custody order?
7. How do I get an order for parenting time ("visitation")?
8. I am being denied visitation. What can be done?
9. Does the Prosecuting Attorney or the Friend of the Court have a responsibility to investigate alleged abuse and/or neglect of a child?
10. Are there other websites with parenting time information?