Current Assignment: Major Crimes, Traffic Crash Deaths, Abuse Neglect, and Juvenile Delinquency
HTML img Tag
- Chris has been an Assistant Prosecuting Attorney in Eaton County since March 2013, and served as Chief Assistant Prosecuting Attorney since May 2019. Previously, Chris worked as an assistant prosecuting attorney and chief assistant prosecuting attorney in Branch County (2010 to 2013). He received his 5-year Prosecution Service Award from PAAM in February 2016.
- PAAM: Chris currently serves on the PAAM Drug Initiatives Committee, PAAM Technical Services Committee, and PAAM Education and Training Committee.
- State Bar of Michigan: Criminal Jurisprudence and Practice Committee (appointed from 2016 to present).
- Chris was one of the first APAs in Michigan to be certified as a Drug Recognition Expert. He regularly assists in training new DREs to be prepared for courtroom testimony.
- Presented: He has presented to the PAAM Support Staff conference on forfeiture procedures (2017), and to the Michigan State Police on Medical Marijuana and traffic stops.
- Testified: In May 2016, Chris testified in front of the Michigan Advisory Committee to the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights regarding forfeiture reform in the state of Michigan.
- Member: Chris is a member of the Trine University School of Criminal Justice Professional Advisory Board.
- Award: In 2015, Chris received the David M. Schieber MADD Lifesaver Award for his work in successfully convicting Starr Kiogima for second-degree murder and OWI causing death in 2014. (Ms. Kiogima's 4-year old daughter, Natalie McGill, was killed when she was thrown from the vehicle. A combination of prescription drugs and a blood-alcohol content three times the legal limit, speed, inattentive driving, and not effectively restraining Natalie were critical facts that Chris developed in his evidence. Ms. Kiogima received a sentence of 25 to 50 years in prison.
- Served as a member of the SCAO Remote Trial Taskforce in 2020.
- Member of the Michigan Juvenile Justice Reform Task Force: Out of Home Placement Work Group.
- Member of the SCAO MiFile Criminal Business Work Group.
- ICLE Contributor presenting of 4th Amendment Search and Seizure law as well as the Clean Slate legislation.